aqua fortis

Friday, July 16, 2004

What's in a Name?

Well, I sure haven't been very good about posting, considering how much time I've been online this week. Part of it is that I've been working on a freelance project, doing internet research/fact-checking for someone who's writing a baby name book. Weird synchronicity, considering I have one friend who's expecting a boy in September, and someone else (you know who you are!) who might also be producing a shorty next year.

In the process, I've been looking at a ridiculous amount of baby name websites, most of which are kinda crap. But I did find one site--not strictly about baby names per se--that was pretty interesting, called BehindtheName.com, about the history and etymology of first names. It has all this cool extra stuff besides the lists of names, like categories by country of origin, anagram names, namesakes, and which names were popular which year (of course mine is always towards the top, dammit--not A. Fortis but the real one. Doh!).

0 comments: