aqua fortis

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay...

I guess I'm about 80 miles shy of any kind of dock of the Bay, but I am wasting time. I had the best of intentions and various interesting ideas for blogging over the past few days, but just couldn't make time to post...I did write a rather lengthy entry for Finding Wonderland as part of Under the Radar Recommendations week--a week (roughly) of blog posts about overlooked or underappreciated children's and YA books. And I just realized today is Thursday, which means I should be working on a cartoon for Toon Thursday but maybe I should use Under Radar week as an excuse to go on hiatus for today, since I haven't actually done a cartoon yet. I always seem to find myself doing them on Thursday evenings, so that it's barely still Thursday by the time I post them.

What I'd rather start working on, though, is...well, it's twofold: Firstly, I want to start taking a final look at my current novel-in-progress, The Latte Rebellion, and add a few visual elements that need to go with the text (there are a couple of cartoons and faux web pages that go at the beginnings of chapters). Once that's done--and once I feel like I can actually call the whole thing DONE--it'll be time to send out proposals. I'm excited about that. I feel like this manuscript is a lot more marketable, and just plain better (and, frankly, I would hope that I've improved over time...).

Secondly, I want to continue the redesign of our website, which will look nothing like either the alleged "new" design that's currently on the front page, or the old one. That first page was created when I was experimenting with Adobe Illustrator, but unfortunately, Illustrator still baffles me, and I decided I don't like that design anyway, so I'm working on a new one. The plan is to have pop-up windows with my art and design samples instead of cluttering the main web page with a bunch of images or a thumbnail gallery. I'm still debating how exactly to do that, so I might have to go look at other people's websites and steal some ideas...

0 comments: