aqua fortis

Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Blog as Post-It Note.

I'm posting this entry as a sort of reminder to myself that Rob and I really need to drive into Berkeley to see the exhibit of Fernando Botero work on the subject of Abu Ghraib, currently on display at the Doe Library (ah, so many memories of hours and hours studying in the then-newly-renovated stacks...). Anyway, according to an announcement from the Center for Latin American Studies,

these paintings have never been displayed in a public institution in the United States. The exhibit was "proposed to many museums in the U.S," according to the artist, but all declined to show it.

I'm kind of bummed that I'm just now finding out about this (thanks to other magazine's blog), because Monday night there was a conversation between the artist and Robert Hass, former U.S. poet laureate. I hope the promised webcast materializes. At least I have several weeks to check out the show. I find Botero's work to be fascinating--of the works of his that I've seen (in print, etc.), he seems to have an unholy obsession with fat people. (I personally like this one. Hee hee!)

0 comments: