aqua fortis

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Baby Crap

So, I don't think I've ever been asked "So when are you two having kids?" so many times in a four-hour period. Fascinating. Of course, it was a baby shower, but still--when I hear things like "you're next!" it makes me want to never reproduce simply out of a stubborn and contrary desire to prove them wrong. I do have an answer to the when question, for just such occasions as these. Unfortunately, because it was a baby shower, nobody was content with a simple answer--it had to turn into a whole conversation about the various merits of having children at certain ages, why you shouldn't wait too long or have them too soon, blah blah blah.

The answer really is easy--when we want to reproduce, and feel ready to do so, we will, and that won't be for a few years. The funny thing is, I don't think people in that sort of mood want to hear a specific answer like "between the ages of 30 and 35." They want to hear "Well, actually, I'm pregnant now! Surprise!" or "Gee, I wish I had a little snoozy-woozy itty-bitty-smooshy baby to hug and cuddle right this very second!" Perhaps I'm estrogen-deficient, but I just can't bring myself to be one of those women who dote on anyone under the age of five. Personally, I fear anyone under the age of five.

0 comments: